Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A weekend to remember… in a different way


So as the title implies this weekend was a weekend to remember. On Saturday I participated in the Nelson Hopkins Skip and Run.
The Skip and Run is a 5k to benefit the memorial scholarship fund for Nelson Hopkins who was a high school senior living in the local community when one day in late 2009 he was found dead by police not far from campus. He was walking home from the bus stop after spending time at the downtown library filling out his college application. So at 10 on Saturday morning about 280 Rockhurst Students, faculty and local community members took the streets running to raise money for a scholarship fund set up in his honor and to honor the legacy that Nelson left.
As a note the top person finished in a time of 18 minutes and 30 seconds and in case you were wondering I finished in a time of 21 minutes and 10 seconds. I was happy with my time because it was a hilly course. In high school I was a 4 year cross country and track runner running a 5k is nothing new to me. I also participated last year in the first ever Nelson Hopkins Skip and Run.
            One Sunday September 11th it was a day to remember for Rockhurst as well as for the nation as we remembered the tenth anniversary of 9/11. So growing up I really enjoyed watching the news and I remember being glued to the TV for about a week after 9/11 happened. So I am not sure about any else but on Sunday I got distracted from my homework watching the 9/11 memorial videos on Youtube. FYI there is some really good ones if anyone is interested.
One of my friends and I had an interesting talk reflecting back on 9/11 saying that we were in 5th and 4th grades respectively when 9/11 occurred. We remember what happened and were thinking that we are one of the last years of students that remember 9/11 and were able to at least partly understand it. We made the comment to each other that it is crazy there are kids as old as we were when 9/11 happened that were not even born when it occurred so have no remembrance of it at all.
On Sunday night at the 6pm student mass we honored the 9/11 victims by taking a moment of silence and lighting a candle for each year that has passed since the events 9/11 took place.  It was a simple but appropriate way to remember 9/11. Hope you have a great week!
This week’s quote will take a different perspective… when I saw it I just stopped and thought… “‎‎9/11 in Numbers: 8:46 a.m. and 9:02 a.m. Time the burning towers stood: 56 minutes and 102 minutes. Time they took to fall: 12 seconds. Total number of people killed in attacks: 2,819. Number of firefighters and paramedics killed: 343. Bodies found "intact": 289.Body parts found: 19,858. Number of families who never received remains: 1,717. Number of people who lost a spouse/partner in the attacks: 1,609. Estimated number of children who lost a parent: 3,051. Estimated number of New Yorkers suffering from post-traumatic-stress disorder as a result of 9/11: 422,000. So many numbers. But here's one more: 10 years. Forever in our hearts and never forgotten.” It just makes me realize how fortunate I am. Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kqA0JEJchI

No comments:

Post a Comment