Monday, September 26, 2011

A Full Senate

So last Thursday was the first official meeting of the RU Senate with all the newly elected and appointed members. It is exciting to have a full senate now. I have a feeling that we will do lots of great things this year. This is my first full year being a part of the RU Student Senate. I tried running for Student Senate last fall as a freshman but was not elected or appointed. However last January I was appointed to student senate and then reelected by the student body for another year. We have an awesome advisor for Student Senate, Dr. Matt Quick who is also the Dean of Students.

            For those of you who may not be familiar with the RU Student Senate we do various activities around campus and are also the voice of the students when they have concerns that need to be addressed or ideas for improvement. Some of the events the RU Student Senate is better known for include:
            The Senate BBQ which occurs in conjunction with the free stuff fair (or more formally known as the Student Activities Fair).
Senate Midnight breakfasts on the evening prior to finals starting both semesters. (It actually ends at midnight, don’t think it doesn’t start till midnight). This is a really fun event in which the Senators make breakfast (including omelets) for the student body. It is a really fun way to start off what can be a very stressful week for some people.
Third major event is Senate BINGO! I never thought I would see more people playing bingo in my life. It is just a fun evening of bingo, really awesome prizes (such as an IPAD last year) and free pizza for all who come out. It is a fun evening for all.
            Well that is all I have to say for this one…It is a super busy two weeks (last week and this week) for me…  If you want to keep on the happenings of RU Student Senate make sure to check out http://rustudentsenate.weebly.com/index.html

Hint hint… the next blog entry will be about family weekend (and Yes this year my family made the 500 mile journey to see me J )  Hope you have an awesome week.

Oh yes… this week’s quote is from The Servant Song (sang at mass here on a regular basis) Will you let me be your servant Let me be as Christ to you Pray that I might have the grace To let me be your servant too” 

No comments:

Post a Comment