Friday, June 28, 2013

Catching up with an Old Friend... A summer blessing... And a book

My favorite part of the summer is getting a chance to catch up with friends who I have lost contact with over the last few months. There are those friends who you loose contact with over the years but are always there for you. On this occasion I was excited to catch up with her but didn't really except to have the great conversation that I had. It came at just the right time too. You know how when you you and a friend both have busy lives doing amazing things (trying to change the world and everything haha just kidding) but anyway then when you finally have the time to catch up its like amazing. Catching up with this friend I walked away like God was really present. I really enjoy friends who you can openly share about your faith journey with. We both have a servants heart I feel like just wanting what is best for others and always trying to put others before myself. 

We shared about the ups and downs we have had since last talking to each other and what our next year has in store for us. She just graduated and is now going to start a year of service. Wherever God places her the people there will be so blessed by her presence. She is off to her summer job till she starts her year of service in the fall so I am not sure when I will get to see her next but I sure enjoyed our visit. Its those moments when your not always expecting it God graces in some special way. 

My friend before she left dropped by a book. She gave me the book Adam to read this summer. It is written by Henry Nouwen. I cannot wait to get further into it! It is amazing the impact a book can make on a person.  On the topics of books Rockhurst has selected some really good books the past few years for the Freshman reading books two of my favorites from past years have been. 

For a full listing of the books that Rockhurst has used in the past years for the Freshman Common Reading book check out this link: http://www.rockhurst.edu/student-experience/first-year-experience/theme-book/ 

The book for this year is The Freshman Survival Guide - Nora Bradbury-Haehl & Bill McGarvey. Are there any incoming freshman reading this blog who have read it? I will be curious to see how all the incoming freshman like the book. 
Rockhurst really tries to incorporate the freshman book throughout the year so I am really excited to see how they plan on doing it this year. 

I always like to end with a quote: This is a long one but I really like it so enjoy! 

In solitude we can listen to the voice of Him who spoke to us  before we could speak a word, who healed us before we could make any gesture to help, who set us free long before we could free others, and who loved us long before we could give love to anyone.  It is in this solitude that we discover that being is more important than having, and that we are worth more than the results of our efforts.  In solitude we discover that our life is not a possession to be defended, but a gift to be shared.  It's there we recognize that the healing words we speak are not just our own but are given to us; that the love we can express is part of a greater love; and that the new life we bring forth is not a property to cling to, but a gift to be received. (from Mornings with Henri Nouwen).

I am always curious to see who is reading my blog! Please feel free to comment if so inspired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment