Saturday, August 17, 2013

Unpacking

Hi All,

As I sit here writing this blog it is hard to believe that I am back for my final year at Rockhurst. 

Where has the time gone?... Time there are some points in life when time can not go bye fast enough and there are other times in life when time cannot slow down enough and we wish we have more time.

On one hand I am excited and ready to be done with college and get out in the world to see what it has in store for me. On another hand I can hardly believe this is my last move in day. Hard to believe. As I told people my sister was moving in to school for the first time I thought to my self this is the last time I'm moving onto a freshman campus. This is the last year I get to help welcome new freshman to campus and see them all say goodbye to their parents as they wish them well on the next part of their life's journey. 

But life is a journey and part of that journey is accepting that in some stages in life you have to accept that they come to quick ends but that is only because the next stage in life is that much more exciting. I hope that makes some sense to you as a reader. 

Over my past vacation we listened to a book on tape called "The Time Keeper" by Mich Album. I really liked the book. It has a slow start. 

Here are two quotes from the book

“Try to imagine a life without timekeeping. You probably can’t. You know the month, the year, the day of the week. There is a clock on your wall or the dashboard of your car. You have a schedule, a calendar, a time for dinner or a movie. Yet all around you, timekeeping is ignored. Birds are not late. A dog does not check its watch. Deer do not fret over passing birthdays. an alone measures time. Man alone chimes the hour. And, because of this, man alone suffers a paralyzing fear that no other creature endures. A fear of time running out.” 

“As mankind grew obsessed with its hours, the sorrow of lost time became a permanent hole in the human heart. People fretted over missed chances, over inefficient days; they worried constantly about how long they would live, because counting life’s moments had led, inevitably, to counting them down. Soon, in every nation and in every language, time became the most precious commodity.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment