Saturday, October 8, 2011

Another one bites the dust

It is hard to believe but I have already finished one of my classes. My Nonprofit Fundraising and Development class concluded last Tuesday night. Most of the nonprofit classes are formatted as half-semester accelerated classes. The class meets for four hours one night a week and then also meets on one Saturday. Four hours gets to be a little long I have to admit but I have begun to get used to it. As I have mentioned previously I really enjoy my nonprofit classes. I have really found a deep passion for nonprofit organizations so these classes are perfect for me. A lot of the nonprofit classes have a service learning component to them which is nice. The service learning component to this one was either participating in or helping with the Hopkins 5k and then following that up by writing grant proposals that they could use for additional support in the coming years. I find it interesting the range of the ages of the students we have in our night classes. For example about half of our class was night students or nontraditional students. This age range makes for some really good discussions. When I return from fall break I start another nonprofit night classes called nonprofit administration.
In our class we read an awesome little book called The Go-Give to supplement out textbook. Here is a quote from it. “The Law of Value… Your true worth is determined by how much more you give in value than you take in payment”- Bob Burg and John David Mann
So I’m trying something new and writing two shorter blog entries a week so check back in a few days for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment